- Accomplished, visionary data leader with nearly two decades of subject expertise in data governance, data architecture, data warehouse, master data management, data quality, and data integration. Known for using innovative and practical approaches to solve complex business and technology challenges.
- Diverse hands-on experience in market research, competitive analysis, sales, engineering, consulting, and customer support. Provided deep and broad consultation for organizations ranging from startups to Fortune 500 in all industries. Led projects ranging from product incubators to multi-million consulting projects.
- Received more than 20 granted patents in areas of databases, applications, governance, and collaboration.
- Led and co-led Gartner Magic Quadrant (MQ) for Data Quality (DQ) tools and Data Integration tools.
- Received multiple technical achievement and service excellence awards.
- Master data management and data governance programs. Data and analytics organizational culture and structure. Leadership development. Data stewardship. Chief Data Officer (CDO). Agile Methodologies. SDLC.
- Enterprise data architecture. Data warehousing. Legacy data migration. Data integration. Data quality. Data virtualization. Hybrid Integration Platform and iPaaS. Metadata. Data modeling. On-Line Transaction Processing (OLTP). Databases. Data monetization/marketplaces. Data and application synergy. Service oriented architecture (SOA). Cloud architecture. Big data. Data lake. Internet of Things (IoT).
- Outstanding skills in consulting, research, training, coaching, facilitation, writing, and presentation.
- Business and innovation strategies. Merger and acquisition. Technology portfolio management. Startups. Vendor evaluation, selection, and management. Customer experience. Business model generation and evaluation. Business development. Design thinking. Program management. Project management.
- Entrepreneur, intrepreneur, and executive coaching. Diversity, mindfulness, and creativity leadership in a global setting. Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills. Team and community building.
DATA MANAGEMENT AND GOVERNANCE CONSULTANT
Greater San Diego Area, USA Jan. 2019 – Present
- Provides customized, high-value research, advisory, and consulting services to end-user companies in the areas of enterprise data architecture, data governance, master data management, big data strategy, data quality, data integration, data warehouse, data migration, and data and application alignment.
- Reduces risks and increases successes of data and analytics technology providers through consulting services focusing on vision, strategic planning, product roadmap, business development, market research, competitive analysis, customer experience, scaling, and innovation/patent strategies.
- Increases productivity and effectiveness of entrepreneurs, executives, and high-potential employees with executive coaching services such as leadership development, team building, career fulfillment, 2nd ACT, work-life balance, stress reduction, and personal growth.
- Took a voluntary sabbatical for recharge from May to Dec. 2018.
RESEARCH DIRECTOR, GARTNER
Portland, Maine, USA Ma y 2012 – April 2018
- Led Gartner MQ for DQ tools (2017) project and redesigned the evaluation criteria based on modern data quality technology market, estimated as a $1.6 billion dollars. Co-authored MQ for Data Integration tools (2017), estimated as a $2.7 billion market. Researched and analyzed diverse data management vendors (e.g., Informatica, IBM, Oracle, SAP, Syncsort, SAS, and Talend).
- Advised and coached CDOs, CIOs, CTOs, CMOs and other business leaders in end-user organizations on data strategies, data governance, budgeting, vendor/contract evaluation, governance programs, and talent initiatives, through thousands of client inquiries, onsite visits, events, conferences, and webinars.
- Advised technology vendors and their investors on go-to-market strategy, value proposition, partnerships, marketing, customer experience, product development, SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats), and global market analysis.
- Delivered in-depth advice on technical architectures and implementations to technical leads and data architects in Gartner's Technology Professionals division (May 2012 – June 2016), providing forward-looking data integration and LDW publications that remain as the flagship research.
- Researched and published cutting-edge and impactful articles in data integration, data quality, LDW, data lake, data governance, enterprise data architecture, and application alignment. Spoke frequently as an industry thought leader at Gartner worldwide conferences.
- Strengthened Gartner’s innovation reputation by proposing and leading the first public art installation on Creativity and Innovation wall in Gartner Data & Analytics Summits (2018). Led and advocated diversity within Gartner and its clients with many conference talks and roundtables.
- Expanded and strengthened Asian clients by providing tailored consulting and education, including delivering the first Gartner data and analytics briefing in China. Bridged the cultural and organizational gaps by training and mentoring local sales force and analysts
INFORMATION MANAGEMENT ARCHITECT, IBM INFOSPHERE
Portland, Maine, USA Oct. 2010 – April 2012
- Performed competitive analysis and prepared responses to RFPs and RFIs. Solicited customer feedback/requirements and provided them to IBM product development, marketing, and support teams.
- Improved technical sales competencies and pre-sale customer experience by designing and creating the technical sales scripts and enablement workshops on enterprise data governance and data architecture.
- Won multiple new clients and retained existing ones with value-added technical sales support. Proposed and piloted the discovery workshops to discover prospect needs and grow the sales pipeline.
- Designed sustainable data strategies and scalable data architectures for highly complex environment using IBM middleware in data integration, data quality, data governance, databases, and analytics.
- Conducted workshops on solution architectures, databases, data governance, data quality, master data management, and enterprise information management for clients, system integrators, and channel partners.
- Led IBM Information Architect community and grew it from a dozen members in one city to more than 300 global members in less than 3 years. Strengthened information (data) architect professional competencies.
SENIOR DATA ARCHITECT, IBM WEBSPHERE
Pocatello, Idaho, USA May 2005 – September 2010
- Received Outstanding Technical Achievement Award for leading global data teams to incubate new software products and enhance existing ones, including InfoSphere Business Glossary, Lotus Collaboration, Rational Method Composer, Rational Asset Manager, and WebSphere Service Registry and Repository.
- Performed requirement gathering and prioritization, architectural design, competitive analysis, engineering, sales enablement, and customer support.
- Received the IBM Service Excellence Award twice for delivering outstanding client consulting engagements. Led data management initiatives for many successful client consulting projects, such as leading the 20+-person global data team (US and India) for a multimillion-dollar, multi-year modernization project.
- Increased cross-brand synergy and collaboration through participation in task forces and IBM Academy of Science. Liaison among various IBM brands (e.g. applications, data management and social collaboration) and major divisions (including IBM Software, Consulting and Research).
- Designed, developed, and taught the first IBM Enterprise Information Architecture workshop internationally with content that was later widely adopted in IBM Global Services, architect education, and methodologies. Instrumental in closing the gaps between SOA and data management during SOA’s infancy phase.
DATA ARCHITECT, IBM GLOBAL SERVICES
Austin, Texas, USA April 2000 – April 2005
- Designed high-performance data architecture and implemented databases for IBM Corporate Marketing e-Business On-Demand Application (Rubix), which empowered the effective marketing champions and generated millions of dollars of additional revenues at www.ibm.com.
- Performed data modeling, database administration, data integration, documentation, database migration, and internationalization for enterprise software solutions across complex mainframe and distributed systems (e-ESM and HelpNow, the first IBM web-based self-service application) for a user base of 100,000.
- Served in a consultative exchange program with the support team. Significantly increased client satisfaction by resolving dozens of longstanding, challenging tickets and easing legacy system transition. Proposed and helped implementing process improvements in requirement gathering, development, test, database administration, and customer support.
Awards and Achievements
- Received over 20 patents, many of which were adopted in commercial IBM software products.
- Two-time recipient of the IBM Service Excellence Award for providing outstanding consulting engagements.
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award from Sam Palmisano, former CEO of IBM.
- Selected for competitive IBM Corporate Service Corp program in Brazil in 2008. The program was designed to develop high-potential global leaders with an acceptance rate lower than 5 percent.
- TechConnect Award 2004 (for high-potential early employees) from Louis Gerstner (IBM former CEO).
- Competent Communicator Award by Toastmasters International.
- Prolific writer with publications on Gartner.com, developerWorks, eBiz, ZDNet, and Cutter IT Journal.
- Certified as Open Group Certified IT Architect in 2008.
Education and Coursework
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA, Missoula, Montana,
- THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE, Portland, Maine, 2013 – 2016
Completed courses in public speaking, professional writing, meeting facilitation, and skillful conversation.
- COACHING TRAINING INSTITUTE, Los Angeles, CA, 2019
Gartner Data Quality Related Publication
- Magic Quadrant for Data Quality Tools
- Critical Capabilities for Data Quality Tools
- Toolkit: RFP Template for Data Quality Tools
- Evaluate and Adopt Modern Data Quality Tools Based on Eight Changing Trends
- China Summary Translation: 'Evaluate and Adopt Modern Data Quality Tools Based on Eight Changing Trends'
- How to Overcome the Top Four Data Quality Practice Challenges
- China Summary Translation: 'How to Overcome the Top Four Data Quality Practice Challenges'
- How a Chief Data Officer Should Drive a Data Quality Program
- Best Practices for Cost Optimizing Your Data Management Program
- Establish a Data Quality Program to Support Digital Business
- Initiate and Sustain a Business Glossary to Improve the Value of Business Analytics and the Logical Data Warehouse
Gartner Data Integration Related Publication
- How to Drive Self-Service in Data Integration Strategies
- Top Three Acts to Renew Your Data Integration Strategy for Digital Business
- Comparing Four Hadoop Integration Architectures
- Comparing Four iPaaS-Based Architectures for Data and App Integration in Public Cloud
- Comparing Three Self-Service Integration Architectures
- Adopt Data Federation/Virtualization to Support Business Analytics and Data Services
- Legacy Data Migration Is a High-Risk Project — Be Prepared!
- Use Data Integration Patterns to Build Optimal Architecture
- Nine Architectural Patterns for Integrating Structured and Unstructured Data in the Big Data Era
Gartner Logical Data Warehouse Related Publication
- Solution Path for Building the Next-Generation Data Warehouse
- Adopt Logical Data Warehouse Architectural Patterns to Mature Your Data Warehouse
- Decision Point for Logical Data Warehouse Implementation Styles
- Embrace Sound Design Principles to Architect a Successful Logical Data Warehouse
- Blueprint for Architecting Sensor Data for Big Data Analytics
- Technical Guidance on Sensor Data Management
- How to Design and Implement the Next-Generation Data Warehouse
Enforcing domain strong typing
Semi-automatic evaluation and prioritization of architectural alternatives for data integration
Implementing service oriented architecture industry model repository using semantic web technologies
Framework to populate and maintain a service oriented architecture industry model repository
SOA industry model repository meta-model component with a standard based index
Unified collection of content analytic data
System and method to dynamically check string length
Framework to populate and maintain a service oriented architecture industry model repository
Scheduling calendar entries via an instant messaging interface
Intermediate viewer for transferring information elements via a transfer buffer
Searchable instant messaging chat repositories using topic and identifier metadata
System and method for in-context, topic-oriented instant messaging
Scrolling chat for participation in multiple instant messaging conversations
Sectional E-mail transmission
Method for automatic detection of display sharing and alert generation in instant messaging
System and method for response management in multiple email recipients
Automatic email consolidation for multiple participants
Method for providing quick responses in instant messaging conversations
Replaceable sequenced one-time pads for detection of cloned service client
Method to enable user selection of segments in an instant messaging application for integration
Painting process color compensator
System and method for capture and processing of overflow characters from user input
Playback of instant messaging session history
Chat marking and synchronization